SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cockpit Speakers
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
Finally did it!

Well, I finally got around to my speaker project. I ended up buying PolyPlanar 4" subcompact speakers. I was hoping I could get the 4" speakers into my combing boxes which have a 3.5" opening by angling them a little. Unfortunately they would not fit. So what I ended up doing is taking them apart and putting slits into the speaker box which allowed me to squeeze the speaker box into the combing boxes. (Once the speaker was taken apart the speaker itself could be slid into the opening. I then filled the slits with 5200 sealant and put the speakers back together inside the combing boxes where they sit on the brackets that came with the speakers. I was also able to angle them forward a little without them being to deep into the combing boxes.

Sound is pretty good, I was not expecting concert hall sound from a pair of $60 speakers. The reason I used them was because they were the smallest ones I could find.

I had found a pair of surround sound speakers that were smaller but I was told they do not have the sound range that regular speakers.(thanks Cam!) I also found a couple of small winch covers that I will use to keep them even more protected from the elements.

Thanks for everyone's input and comments!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook