SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dinghy Outboard - Recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010

RSMacG is on a distinguished road
Dinghy Outboard - Recommendations?

Having recently upgraded to a boat that is not, itself, a dinghy (34 ft), I'm in the process of acquiring one and would be most grateful for the collective wisdom here...

For a whole variety of factors, I've decided on the Achilles LSI 290 (possibly 310, but that's likely overkill). It's rated for up to 8hp. However, notwithstanding poking around on the Internet for a few days, I'm still somewhat at a loss, and am hoping for some help.

I plan to use the dinghy for all of the usual things while cruising - back and forth to shore for provisions, a bit of exploring, and probably some fishing with my son. However, I don't necessarily think speed is a primary concern. I also would like to be able to lift the engine from the dinghy onto the stern pulpit myself, so weight is a major consideration.

So, I suppose I really have three questions:

(1) HP? I'm thinking 4-6 would be more than enough?;

(2) 2-stroke vs 4-stroke? I'm told that the new direct-injection 2-strokes are now much, much kinder to the environment, and 2-strokes have the advantage of being able to be run dry, so they don't have to be stored perfectly upright. I'm also told that the 2-strokes are more bullet-proof? Is this true? Pros/cons of 2- vs 4-stroke for this application?

(3) Manufacturer? Not surprisingly, I'm getting mixed messages re manufacturers. From what I can tell, Nissan or Tohatsu are the way to go. Thoughts appreciated

I really appreciate any thoughts / experiences that can be shared... It's a purchase I only want to make once and I don't want to be kicking myself every time because I didn't know what I didn't know...

Thanks again,
Rob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook