SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dinghy Outboard - Recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMacG View Post
So, I suppose I really have three questions:

(1) HP? I'm thinking 4-6 would be more than enough?;
Probably more than enough. My friends have a 10.5' AB RIB. They use a 3.5 HP tohatsu and they've been able to use the boat with three or four people aboard in over 20 knots of wind.

One thing to consider is weight. The 3.5 HP tohatsu/nissan/mercury is only about 40 lbs. The 4-6 HP tohatsu/nissan/mercury is about 55 lbs. That can make the difference between being able to lower it onto the dinghy in heavy weather or not.

Quote:
(2) 2-stroke vs 4-stroke? I'm told that the new direct-injection 2-strokes are now much, much kinder to the environment, and 2-strokes have the advantage of being able to be run dry, so they don't have to be stored perfectly upright. I'm also told that the 2-strokes are more bullet-proof? Is this true? Pros/cons of 2- vs 4-stroke for this application?
The two-strokes are very hard to find in the US. Most of the four-strokes are capable of being stowed on one side. The four-strokes are more economical and usually quieter. The four-strokes also only have to worry about one consumable for fuel.

Quote:
(3) Manufacturer? Not surprisingly, I'm getting mixed messages re manufacturers. From what I can tell, Nissan or Tohatsu are the way to go. Thoughts appreciated

I really appreciate any thoughts / experiences that can be shared... It's a purchase I only want to make once and I don't want to be kicking myself every time because I didn't know what I didn't know...

Thanks again,
Rob
All the small <10 HP Nissan, Tohatsu and Mercury engines are actually all made by Tohatsu. Honda and Yamaha are the other two still making small outboards IIRC. The 2 HP honda doesn't have a clutch and is really noisy, being air cooled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook