SailNet Community - View Single Post - Would you cross the Pacific to Australia in a Morgan North American 40?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunhunglo View Post
Heavy weather jibs and storm sails: a 100% foretriangle #3, an 80% #4 heavy weather jib (with grommets installed for luff ties); a 65% to 70% #5 hi-visibility heavy weather jib (with grommets, AND luff ties already installed); storm jib and trysail.
I would reduce this down to a heavy Dacron 125% cruising jib (Quantum or similar cruising sail); on a roller -reefing- headstay (a Harken MK-III or newer). Then you can reef the headsail to any heavy weather configuration; or completely drop/stow and deploy a storm jib either on the foil (which you could later roll up) or hoist on an inner forestay if you know that a storm is approaching. Your backup would be a ~100% headsail in the event that the 125% was damaged; and/or the existing sail inventory.

A heavy dacron main with 3'rd reef would be my choice for the main. If it's bad enough to need a trysail; you might as well sail on the poles and hull windage. I would not risk removing the main from the mast track in heavy wind. Just my opinion; we have not sailed in these conditions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook