SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Local knowledge Ft Walton Beach to Panama City ICW

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  MARC2012 
#1 ·
I am looking for local knowledge. We are sort of newbies to coastal sailing. We have a new (to us) Caliber 40 LRC. We are moving it from Ft Walton Beach to Panama City FL later this week via the two bays and ICW. I am a tad concerned about the east end of Choctawhatchee Bay and the west end of St Andrews Bay after reading the cruising guide. Is the navigation clear through those sections? How is the barge traffic in the ICW? How are the conditions on the ICW between those two bays? Any local knowledge would be appreciated. Things to watch out for, shoaling, general hints and suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
~~_/)~~_/)~~_/)~~
Sabrina
s/v Honey Ryder

#2 ·
Do not know if I have local knowledge but have been through there several times.Went that way two wks ago.Actually went opposite.Ch bay deep if follow icw,sailed through.Canyon from ch to west bay boring if been through but different for first time, West bay & st A sailed through.Little traffic usually but they had the blessing when I went through.Easy trip.marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.