SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello Sailnet
Thread: Hello Sailnet
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010

BC100700 is on a distinguished road
Hello Sailnet

Hello from Western Michigan.
I am looking to become a returning sailing enthusiast. My family used to sail often when I was a kid on a day sailer my Dad had (not sure of make/model/year). I am recalling the memories and thought it would be a good way to spend family time in a state surrounded by a large water playground. Although, I dread that something that was fun for me will not interest my family/kids. Especially since their cousins (my brother) have a speedboat.

My ultimate goal in joining this forum is to seek information to learn how to sail, teach my wife and kids, and to teach my kids(8,6 and 3) that there is more to life than Cartoon Network and the Disney Channel.

In the future I would like to take a sailing vacation to the Caribbean and figured that my own back yard would be a good place to start. I think I could work on some of the certifications here and then try to convince my wife we need a sailing vacation (she already wants to go on a cruise, I have to convince her this is a better scenario because we wont gain 10 pounds each)

My in-laws have a cottage on a great inland sailing lake and that is how I was planning on starting. I am looking at getting a small day sailer or dingy (any advice would be helpful-the lake is approx 7 miles long x 1 mile wide but not very deep) for that purpose to teach the kids and get back into be active on the water after cruising the lake for years in a pontoon.

I would like to work on certifications as well so any schools in West Michigan (I am in Grand Rapids) that are recommended would also be helpful.

Brad
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook