SailNet Community - View Single Post - Owning a boat long/cruising from long distance?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010
Tartan 28

drgamble is on a distinguished road
Another consideration that I'm curious about - are there any out there that have their boat at a locale a flight away from "home" and cruise from place to place? If you're in a situation where you can take a flight once a month and have a week to cruise and relax, does anyone hop from port to port? I'm curious as to the logistical issues of finding marinas to accomodate you considering you're a transient, and the costs associated therewith. I'm currently in a situation where I'm planning to ship my boat at the end of this year and am contemplating a near-future CA or FL move (choosing the locale is a whole other discussion). If I haven't made the move before shipping the boat that is okay with me as I do have a schedule that would still allow me to travel and sail from a distance until I could make a more permanent move (job issue)...

I met a gentleman from Chicago over the winter at a Mack Boring 3-day diesel class - he keeps his boat in the Med (Croatia and Spain) and commutes over there a couple times a year for a month at a time. That's the extreme side of it...

Tartan 28
Peregrine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook