SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Planning small San Juan trip

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  jrd22 
#1 ·
Any PNW sailors here? I am planning a trip this summer from Bellingham to Snug Harbor (NW San Juan Island) in August.

Where would be a good place to overnight in between? Should I go the North side, maybe stop at Sucia? Or go through the islands and overnight somewhere in between?

Thanks for any input!

#2 ·
ummmmm, YES!

Reality is, either way will be good, Or do a loop, go north going, go south thru on the way home. There in reality is, not a wrong or right way. You may wan to look at weather forecasts, take the open route, which I will hazard is the north route for you, do that on the less windy day, the middle route on the windier days, Altho if normal N to NW winds 10-20 show up, take you pic.

I'll also get you some pics of the mast work I did too. not sure version 1 works well, there will probably be a version 2 at some point.

marty

#4 ·
I measure 33 NM from Squalicum Harbor up Hale Passage, across the top of Orcas, down President Channel, up Spieden Channel to the entrance of Roche Harbor. If you leave towards the end of a flood, you might get a little boost up Hale, hit the top of Rosario around slack and then ride an ebb down president and out Spieden. Six hour trip to Roche @ just over 5 knot average?

#7 ·
Hi Tip

Either way you go you could stop here at Deer Harbor, lots of room to throw out the hook in 20 to 40 feet of water, or get a slip if you like. Nice little store at the marina and a fuel dock. Nice people as well. It usually takes us about 2 hours to get to Roach Harbor from here.

Mitch

#9 ·
If Sucia looks attractive to you then that would be a nice halfway stop. It has good protection from NW winds and Fossil bay has good bottom holding power. I have been there several times and have always enjoyed it. From there it would only be another 3-4 hours to Mitchel Bay. Trying to slog the whole distance in one day will take away from the enjoyment and make it onerous. Going through the islands would be more scenic and offer more protection and places to escape inclement weather. Sucia is called the jewel of the san juans for good reason.

#10 ·
I'm with CaptKermie. Thru the islands is faster, maybe more scenic and definitely has the benefit of having a lot of places to stop (Parks Bay on Shaw Island across the channel from Friday Harbor is really nice for example). Downside, like everwhere else if there's no wind, one motors.

Over the top of the San Juans is great sailing and Sucia is the jewel. We do not like the crowds in Fossil Bay and Echo Bay prefering Fox Cove (only 4 mooring balls, no other room, beautiful sunsets) or Shallow Bay (which feels like one is moored in the channel).

Either way, find/buy the current atlas for the area. Big miles in the San Juans are only possible with a favorable current AND winds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.