SailNet Community - View Single Post - where would i find a manual on my sailboat to learn how to sail her on my own
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010

L124C is on a distinguished road
Use a crew list

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk11blue View Post
any input on where abouts i could do these "lessons" and how many would i need, i wouldnt figure many, im a pretty smart woman and catch on real fast. would it be better to find an experienced sailor in my area that would like to show me the ropes and give me pointers ADVICE please... all of you guys are great. what would be the best route?
There are at least two Crew Lists on the Web in San Francisco. Latitude 38 and SF Sailing. I'm listed as a Skipper on both, and take novices out all the time. If there is one in your area, make sure you contact Skippers. Don't just put your name on the list and wait for a call. I've developed a list of over 30 people who get emailed when I'm going out and have room on the boat (often). Cal Sailing in Berkely CA is a very cost effective way to learn to sail. You could also put your name on boards in Marinas and Yacht Clubs, but I think the Crew List is the most effective route, short of taking lessons. US Sailing also has good interactive (free) instruction on the Web, where you can learn the rules of the road, and get some basic understanding of whats going on. Then... things will make more sense when you get on a boat! I think someone already mentioned the book "The Complete Sailor" by Seidman, but it's a great little book.

Last edited by L124C; 04-21-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook