SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any good places to fill water tanks - Eastern LI Sound?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 04-21-2010 Thread Starter
Bene505
Glad I found Sailnet

Any good places to fill water tanks - Eastern LI Sound?

Are there any places where one can get good water in the eastern sound?

Mods - reposted here, since it belongs in the Loing Island forum

In Martha's Vinyard (Edgartown) last summer, they had a floating water dock that was anchored near the channel. You simply pull up, tie on, and fill you water tanks. It was anchored at both ends so it wouldn't swing, and 2 boats could fill-up at the same time. The water tasted good.

Gratuitous water picture

Montauk has a town dock but the water tastes HORRIBLE. It tastes like it baked in a big plastic hose all day, before getting to your boat. Which it actually did. I tried letting the water run for 30 minutes and it still tasted horrible.

Are there any places where one can get good water in the eastern sound? We usually moor or anchor all summer and a watermaker isn't in the budget. We hold 268 gallons, which holds our family of 6 for quite awhile, even with some quick showers. I'd be willing to sail a few hours to get water. (Want to sail anyway, so why not?)

Any ideas on good place to get water?

Regards,
Brad

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome