SailNet Community - View Single Post - Saroca boat
Thread: Saroca boat
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 04-23-2010

I have owned a SAROCA for about a year now and have sailed it in the mouth of the Piscataqua River about 25 times (I live in Kittery Point, ME) . I've experienced wind between light & variable up to about 12 knots. 12 knots is all but I can bear when it comes to making a jibe or running down wind with this craft.

Her beam is not to be desired from a sailboat stand point, just a bit too narrow (understandable for the multipurpose vessel she is). She also has a soft chine which is also only existent in the center of the hull. This makes her buoyancy "sweet spot" on a good lean quite narrow and a bit precarious.

Her sail is very large, very fast boat and loads of fun! Picture a Lazer sailing set up, that is very close to what she has. Windy days are a blast but lets say that I've had the "pucker factor" more than once and after a couple windy days, my wife now watches me from the shoreline.

The sculling package is great and my wife and I take the boat out at least 3 days a week in the warm seasons (about 35 times so far). Great craft for 2 people.

I don't want to scare you off with the sailing aspects, I'm accustomed to racing dinghy's (420s / FJs) and so I'm being critical when it comes to sailing hull design. She fairs well and I would highly recommend this for sailing in freshwater scenarios. The sail can be reefed (original design) newer ones have a mast which is a 3 piece and can be used with just 2 pieces for less performance but more stability.

She has lots of room and is very light. I'll attach some pictures later, got to go right now.

Last edited by twilsey; 04-23-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome