SailNet Community - View Single Post - OUPV six pack with Sail endorsement?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald View Post
The time should count. You will need to document your "days at sea" on a form. You should have enough time to qualify for a master's ticket. The exam is more difficult for the "6 pack " than for the master's. I would suggest going to a course as they will give an exam with a smaller question pool and will teach you the answers in the instruction. The plotting part of the test is the part that gets most people.
Some clarifications:
1. to qualify for a sailing endorsement, the claimed service has to have been on a sail or sailing auxiliary vessel.
2. The test for a 6-pack is a subset of the test for a master's although the difference is trivial.
3. The navigation test can be difficult, as it..err..requires that you know navigation
4. IMHO for experienced boaters the deck general section is much more difficult as most of what it covers we simply don't know, which is where the open book helps out.

I concur with taking a course if you can afford it, I got my masters on my own and doing so requires a lot of process experimentation.