SailNet Community - View Single Post - Engine Mounts/Bushings/Isolators - Alignment?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Going well so far...

All things considered, the project is going well.

First thing was to remove the prop, coupler, shaft seal, and shaft so a new shaft could be made. Everything went well. This was the first time I have removed the Autostream prop, it comes off in two pieces, pretty amazing piece of engineering. (the directions for reassembly are three pages long...LOL).

The new shaft & cutlass are in and look good. I ended up having a professional do it, I forgot that you have to put the shaft in then the cutlass due to the skeg/rudder, it was simpler to just have the mechanic do it since he had the proper tool and I have been a bit busy at work preparing for a competition at school (BTW, Nelson Anderson, on site at Oak Harbor, he does excellent work.)

I was able to reuse the coupler and have cleaned and painted it. The tranny saver and PSS are in and awaiting install. The only hiccup has been the engine mounts. I had to reorder, the ones I received were incorrect.

Side Note: Initially I shopped at Toressens for the mounts/bushings using the part number from the engine manual. Then I Goggled the mount and found Bushings,Inc: manufacturer of bushings and marine engine mounts , the manufacturer of the part. They recommended I purchase the bushings from gotomarine.com Quality marine products and boat parts They were about $100.00 less each! Both were selling the same units built by Bushings Inc. Ridiculous!!!

I have been prepping the bilge area around the shaft tube to be painted with Interlux Barrier Coat, I don't like Bilgekote.

Soooo, since I'm waiting on another set of mounts I have decided to start some new projects The wife thinks I am nuts...removing the centerboard for some needed maintenance, filling and fairing some areas of the hull, re-rig mainsail reefing with new blocks, and the list goes on and on and on...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 04-25-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook