SailNet Community - View Single Post - making old fibreglass look new
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006

hamiam is on a distinguished road
I use the Poli- Products As Well

Policlean will remove basically anything from the surface of fiberglass. This includes old poliglow, any waxes or polishes that were on there, stains, etc. Poliglow is nothing like a wax or a polish; think of it more like a clear paint that you apply to your hull. The problem with wax is that it typically only lasts 1-3 months or so and then you need to reapply which often is not convenient. Now poliglow doubters will say: just you wait hamiam. you are going to have a yellowed mess someday and its impossible to remove. Nothing cud be further from the truth. Ive used the product for years now and find that just enough wears off over a years time that when i reapply there is not alot of buildup. That being said there is some technique to applying it and u do need to put on 5-7 coats the first time and about 3 there after. the coats dry almost instantly so i camp out on one 3 foot section of the hull, do all coats, and then move down to the next section. you need to keep track of where you left off so you dont go over a band between the 2 sections as this looks funny. i wud suggest if u choose to go this route that you try it on the transom or something first or better yet an old piece of fiberglass and once u get the hang of it goto the boat. If you screw it up, however, it can always be removed with policlean.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook