SailNet Community - View Single Post - Helms-27
Thread: Helms-27
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006

CPSailor is on a distinguished road
39 views and no help!

39 views and no response. Somebody has to know something about the Helms line.

It would appear that they were intended to be a competitor to the Catalinaís, not as fast but possibly better built? Have some blister problems, nicely done interiors and loyal owners (one of the 30's has been owned, sailed and raced (successfully) by the same owner since new in 1978). Many of these boats 27/30/32's have been one or two owner boats passed down within the family. Many are lake sailed, some have reported successful racing accomplishments but in the end there seems to be a large lack of info/interest about these boats; not sure if that is good or bad. The McGregor post drew some spirited replies, the IP has it's fans and passionate enemies, Com-pacers love to talk about their boats, the Nor'sea is the boat of boats, the Hunters are loved by their owners and thatís all that matters. The Helms 27 may just be a well-kept secret, an inexpensive no-name sailboat, 27 footer at a daysailor price? I guess I will make the plunge and sail her until the bottom drops off. I will let you know how she works out.

Splice the Main Brace

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook