SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gozzard 31 vs Pacific Seacraft 31?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarros View Post
John,

Thanks for the chance to educate myself. On you mentioning it, I looked up the difference between a double headsail sloop and a true cutter. It appears the main difference is that in a true cutter the mast is placed farther aft, and thus, it's designed to rely on the headsails more, whereas a double headsail sloop is really designed around a single headsail, then has another added for a little extra canvas, better use of or shaping of the pocket, or something else?

Is that even vaugely right? What are the advantages of each of these designs?

BTW, is the PS31 a cutter or a double headsail sloop?

Thanks

-- James
James, I think you understand the distinction between cutter and double-headsail sloop pretty well.

I am not absolutely certain whether the PSC 31 is a true cutter in the strictest sense of that word. However, the term is used a bit more loosely nowadays than it was in the past, and most owners running a forestaysail on these boats consider them "cutter-rigged".

We sail ours (coastal) primarily sloop-rigged. However, we do have a roller furling staysail that we can set "on-the-fly" for to increase sail area when close reaching in light-to-moderate winds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook