SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&C 38 vs CS 36 Merlin
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010

CatchingUpSlowly is on a distinguished road
This is a pretty interesting thread since last year I was shopping for our first boat ever, and after looking at 40 or so boats we ended up focusing on CS36Ts, Merlins, C&C 35-3's and 38-3's. There were some very well maintained and well-equipped Ts, which would have been my overall choice, but my wife hated the cabin and vetoed the type (sorry, Maine). She liked the Merlins best, but on an apples-to-apples-basis they were 20k more than Ts (in our local market).

So we bought a C&C 38-3 :-) I admit I went nuts scrutinizing the boat, and we had a reputable surveyor go over her thoroughly. Metered dry, percussion tests said dry.

I'm a beginner sailor, so I don't really understand what I've bought, yet. Give me a couple years. I admit I liked, with no good reason for it, that the 38-3 has a proportionately bigger main and smaller foresail that most of the masthead rig boats I was considering.

Good luck on your offer. Looking forward to hearing how it goes. I probably can't show this thread to my wife. Don't want her to spend much time thinking about the sleek Merlin interior she's not going to experience.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook