SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Sailboat - mono - question please.
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
$100,000 buys a lot of boat... How much sailing experience do you have? What boats have you been sailing on? What did you like? What did you hate?

I would highly recommend you sail on other people's boats for a while, so you can get an idea of what you like, hate, want, can't stand in a boat.

I would also recommend you set aside about 15-20% of your purchasing budget for re-fitting, upgrading and modifying whatever boat you get.

Given your plans and budget, you could do with a lot of boats between 25-35' LOA, and get one in pretty nice shape to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanurse View Post
Like many here, I have the liveaboard dream. however, it is practical and realistic that my first sailboat be a 'daysailer' and weekend cruiser.

I love the idea of having a nice cat and cruising foreign waters, but lets be realistic.

finances are not relevant until we get in the several hundred thousand dollar range, then things get thought provoking.

At this point in my sailing experience I can say that I want my first boat to have some zip to it. I enjoy the physics of the sail, the lift, the propulsion, the nature and the chemistry of it... does that make sense? yes, I love sitting there watching the sunset with a vodka in hand, but I also enjoy the thrill of the sail.

I'm gonna budget 100k for the boat. (I could go more but don't want to over do it on a first boat), and would like a mono. thoughts?

Live in Ft. lauderdale. Would birth her at a marina (the costs of dockage, etc. are not part of the 100k), sail her on weekends and occasionally during week.

need some direction....
BTW, are you a maternity nurse, if not, you'd probably BERTH the boat at a marina.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook