SailNet Community - View Single Post - your papers are not in order !
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down your papers are not in order !

Today I had the misfortune of having to stop at Barefoot Landing Marina in North Myrtle Beach,SC. The winds were too high to open the swing bridge. My choices were to turn back against the wind and tides or take a slip for the night at $1.50 a foot. I reluctantly took a slip. One of the dock hands had an attitude "I can't let you tie up, you have to take a slip for the night or leave, I can fill the slip" after dockng A large motor yacht 50-60' pulled up behind me and said he was only staying for lunch, and got an "OK no problem"
So as to make the best of this lost travel day I decided to walk to the Supermarket, across town. My 6 year old daughter wanted to come along and off we walked. I purchased $60 worth of groceries, put them in a back pack (except the bread) and started to walk back to the dock.
Halfway back 3 police cruisers pulled up and wanted to see ID, asked me if I was homeless and proof that my daughter was my child. After I already said I was docked at the barefoot landing and showed a reciept, and explained we were sailing the ICW north and were being delayed by the bridge closing . they then loaded me into the police car and went to the dock and demanded to see "proof" my daughter was in fact MY daughter because they "recieved a complaint" that "an older man was seen walking with a young child" then proceeded to question her mother and us for about a half hour. Finally leaving us and all along saying over and again how they were understandably just looking out for everyones best interests.
SO, I guess I should be grateful ?
But I feel violated, and a bit embarrassed as it all took place right on the dock in front of a restaurant full of vacationers and I'm still docked here waiting for the bridge !
I think the real issue was I am an old bald fat guy who isn't wearing $100 sperry topsiders and matching polo and shorts.
They also questioned our choice of home-schooling even after we showed them our letter of intent from the state we reside in. Even asking if my daughter had ever attended public school. To which I replied "when would she ? she just turned 6 !!!"
Police state ? not a far leap.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook