SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moving Olympia to Alaska via 1967 Bristol 27
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010

ryancorkrey is on a distinguished road
Moving Olympia to Alaska via 1967 Bristol 27

I am 23 years old and looking to uplift my roots in Olympia, wa. i have decent sailing expirence having played around in the san juans. The voyage is set for May 9. currently being inundated with last minute projects that seem never to end, was up on the mast today replacing all wiring.

a few questions regarding miscellaneous things:
-previous owner installed genoa, however label is removed thus not allowing me to see who manufactured it thus not allowing me to see what maintenance is needed, if any. don't want bearings to seize! any ideas on common maintenance required

-having never made the inside passage past port hardy, i am shaking with excitement. however seeing how i will be solo, it would be nice to get as much input/tips on the voyage as possible now, rather than telling horror stories later, if there is a later!

-You might ask now, where in Alaska? I'll being staying around SE Alaska
my idea is to livaboard near a cannery or fishing warf to act as home base year round while working in any aspect of the fishing industry. any ideas on where this maybe?Juno..petersburg...

with reading all that any help would be tremendously appreciated. and anything else that might help would also be great.
thanks for your time, sorry for the essay
Ryan Corkrey
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook