SailNet Community - View Single Post - New anchor light
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
My boat (C&C 29-II) doesn't have an anchor light. Need to get one installed before boat goes back into water. I'm moderately challenged at electrical stuff so I have some questions in regards to what to purchase. My thinking so far is: Aqua Signal 25 all around anchor light, 50' Genuine dealz 14/2 round tinned wire.

I plan on running wire to disconnect as it exits mast in cabin (keel stepped mast) then to a spare switch on my DC control panel. Does this sound right? Am I missing something? Thanks for the help!
One thing that is usually neglected is the gauge of the wire. You are going to put a .8A load (12V * 0.8A = 10W) on 100' (50' circuit) of wire. The MINIMUM ABYC recommendation for 100' of wire is 12 gauge. This would support up to a 5A circuit with 10% voltage drop, but should be fine for what you are doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook