SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA 101 - Basic Keelboat and the "Plan"
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010

aqwert5 is on a distinguished road
ASA 101 - Basic Keelboat and the "Plan"

Wanted to let everyone know that my son (14) and I just passed our Basic Keelboat certification last weekend.

I apologize for the longer post in advance.

Although I haven't been sailing before, I used to have a huge love for the ocean in my younger days. So much so that on my honeymoon, we almost traded the 32ft motor home that my dad gave me (old) for a 32 foot boat. The plan was that we would sail her to Houston where I had a job lined up. Well, the company called and said they wanted me right away forcing us to cut our honeymoon short and the trip never happened.

A few kids later and we're back in California (Bay Area) and after already having backpacked (extended trips), hunted, fished and ocean kayaked with the family (mostly with the older kids), we've decided that since our kids are at the right age now, we'd give sailing another try.

Long term plan: We'd like to circumnavigate in about 10+ yrs.

Medium term plan: Coastal cruising and chartering in the S. Cal, Channel Islands, Pudget Sound and Mexico.

Short term plan: Instead of jumping in and buying a boat, I've decided that as many members of my family as possible (likely the two older kids + the admiral) will learn to sail (and get the certs). Plan is to sail as much as we can for at least a year (at least once if not twice a week during our extended -8 mo - sailing season) on as many different boats as we can. This way, we develop our own tastes, likes and dislikes which would hopefully help in our boat buying.

After looking at different schools, I've settled on Tradewinds Sailing Club in Richmond as their class costs are reasonable, but most of all for their unlimited use for a monthly payment. The way it basically works is that you pay a day's rental fee on a monthly basis and get to take that size boat out as many times as you'd like.

Near term plan: Sail the Capri 22s for as long as it takes to have all the maneuvers ingrained (tacking, jibing, MOB...) so that it becomes second nature. I'm hoping that this will be 10 days (@ 10 hrs/day) if we can adhere to a practice plan whereby most of our outing is practice related. Which is likely possible due to the confined sailing area allowed by the club for these boats.

Once comfortable, we'll be taking the 102 class, and then the 103 when ready (probably mid summer). Not quite sure about the 104 and 105 class but I'm shooting to take them in the summer next year.

Since I'm leaning towards Cats as a possible boat purchase in 1-2 years, I'll likely get that cert as well.

Please note that this is just a plan and we reserve the right, and will most likely then not, to modify it as circumstances change.

Your comments/inputs are welcome.

-Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook