SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moving Olympia to Alaska via 1967 Bristol 27
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Whoa there Ryan, SD was reacting to a post that definitely gave the impression that you had very little experience with boats or sailing. He, and lot's of others here have seen too many young people plan to sail off into the sunset without a clue about what they are doing, thereby endangering themselves as well as the people sent to rescue them. Your defensive attitude probably won't encourage people to give you the help you are asking for, just a suggestion when joining a new forum .

I've only done the inside once, in a fishing boat, so I'm no expert but I did pick the skipper's and the deck hand's brains the whole way up so I can tell you a couple of things: Strait of Georgia can get really nasty, especially as early as you are leaving, be cautious. When the report says "Gale force" for Johnstone St., believe it and don't go, especially if winds are from NW (usual) and an ebb tide (ebb flows north past Mittlenatch Is., which is south of Campbell R.). Most places where you are going to want to anchor were old logging sites and the bottom is fouled with cables, etc., it's much safer to tie up to the government wharfs (usually painted red, if you have Waggoner's cruising guide it tells where they are located). If you do have to anchor run a trip line in case it gets hung up. The government wharfs are full of commercial fishing boats so you will have to raft up, and plan on someone rafting to you so put adequate fenders out. Government docks are sometimes few and far between so plan accordingly. You will NOT be able to get all the way through Grenville channel in one tide so plan to spend a long time there and be aware that HUGE cruise ships use it and it's really skinny in a lot of places. Fuel stops past Pt. Hardy need to be carefully planned. As far as where to go to try to get a fishing job (I assume you have no experience?) I would stick to Ketchikan where you will at least have opportunities for other work if it turns out to be difficult to find a job fishing. If Ketchikan isn't to your liking both Wrangell and Petersburg are great little towns with very active fishing fleets, but like most Alaska fishing towns they can be kind of rough on a rookie.

Good luck to you, hope you have a good trip.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook