SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA 101 - Basic Keelboat and the "Plan"
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010

aqwert5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
I'm sorry whenever I read "Long term plan We'd like to circumnavigate in about 10+ yrs" I roll my eyes. Why is it people who have barely stepped foot on a boat always are the ones who plan to sail around the world? Why is never we like to first explore the west coast of Mexico and Baja before possibly heading down to South America? Dream but be real, it's nice to be a little grounded. My .02 I been around this forum for a while.
I understand what you're saying. I actually meant to say that any long ocean crossing won't happen for at least 10 yrs if at all. Right now, we're approaching this whole thing as another "adventure" (i.e. fun thing) to do with the family, rather the a rigid plan.

But to tell you the truth, that's how I approach things, dream big, and lean and gain the necessary skills to do it if I choose to. Doesn't mean that I'll actually do it, but I'd be prepared to.

That's how I've approached backpacking, with my plan being that I may want to do the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) 2,600 miles when my oldest son will be 18. Will I do it then or later, or at all it doesn't matter. All the time spent with my family working towards the goal is the important part.

I've approached my professional career the same way. Without the ability to go to school (finances, marriage and other circumstances) I've decided that I want to be in high tech, and not just any but in telecommunications. My sights were on management. It took a lot of hard work and preparation, working my way up, but I've reached Director level and I manage guys with PHDs. It's not that I'm better, but I had a plan and determination to make it work. Some people operate better that way.

Regards,
Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook