SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moving Olympia to Alaska via 1967 Bristol 27
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010

ryancorkrey is on a distinguished road
the heater is a sig marine, fully encompasses air and exhaust ventilation outside. will be checking the check list link here in a few when i'm aboard the boat.

the engine is a 9.9 Johnson, unfortunately 2 stroke. burns 1 gph, and have aboard the capabilities for 40 hours before needing to fill. running speed is a mere 5 knots at 80% power. i have virtually all the tools needed to fix it on the boat including spare carburetor, head gasket, exhaust cover gaskets, water pump, spark plugs, compression testers, extra prop, and of course gear fluid. i know that engine from top to bottom, rebuilding it about 6 months ago before my last winter trip. would like to get tohatsu 9.8 4 stoke, heard their reliable.

have old charts Olympia to skagway Pub. 1981 and upgraded chip in 2 gps and a compass, plan on as i go getting current information and more detailed charts for possible difficult waterways.

was really planning on just working a processing plant, until maybe i got to know people that would provide for a better opportunity. thing is i ultimately want an EMS and/or Fire job, seeing how i am finishing up 4 years of education and volunteering experience. i want to live in Alaska and while between fishing seasons look and test everywhere i can. its not going to be easy, but most great things aren't easy.

a 14 knot current, woo because of that i will definitively heed that warning. vessels traffic a must, had an experience with the San Juan ferry system in tight spaces b/w Shaw and orcas islands. yeah wx channel is my friend, and whats to lose if i have to stay at port and have another beer for the days or week to avoid bad seas. better safe than sorry.

hey thank you everybody who has help thus far,
it's one thing to just read the forums, but completely another to have advice given.
-ryan

may 9 is the day set to start, i know its a bit early in the season. but i will as a result be extra careful in everything i do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook