SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Portlights
Thread: New Portlights
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010
Junior Member - Cleveland

itsme6582 is on a distinguished road
New Portlights

On our long list of items to be repaired before our May 26th launch date is to replace these awful portlights on a 23' cruiser for Lake Erie. The rough measurements are 40x10.

One option is to cut new plexiglass (I'm not sure if you can tell from the pic but these are cracked), find a gasket and install.

What we are seriously considering is cutting larger portlights and using an adhesive to hold them in place. Here come the questions...

1. Can we use a router to cut plexiglass or will there be issues? If this is not a problem we can just use the old windows as a jig. This seems too easy to actually work.

2. What sort of adhesive would be good for this. I've read about a few Dow products on this site. IIRC they were 791, 795, and 739. Well, I can't find any Dow products in town. Where could I find them? There are a few products I found at Cleveland Lumber and Home Depot that looked promising. Are any of these acceptable or am I looking in the wrong place? My gut is the PL Ultimate and the Lexel will work.

DAP Titanium - This is my least favorite choice. Silicone - High flexibility - Strong Adhesion - Nothing stated about UV resistance

PL Ultimate - Claims strong adhesion to most plastics, flexible, UV resistant, doesn't crack or shrink

All Purpose Lexel - This is an interesting product that seems like it will do the job as well. Co-polymer rubber based sealant, sticks to everything even wet things, ok to use in the sun
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook