SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moving Olympia to Alaska via 1967 Bristol 27
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010

Maxboatspeed is on a distinguished road
Go Ryan

Ryan,
I'm back because I relate to your journey. Also, I'm thinking some advice from old guys may sound slightly over cautious and negative. That's life. I know you get that. I know you are looking for info. I know you are capable of your planned singhanded cruise. I agree with the person that suggested your planned route is traveled by many cruisers that have not been there before. I love that you are doing this. I appreciate that you are smart enough to seek advice.
Here's more crap from an old guy:
- EMT? You dont have any worries about getting a BASIC job (Ketch or Juneau, summer). What's left of cannery work is too low level for you.
If a real job is important to you, I think looking ahead of time may be a good idea.
- it sounds like you know the major concerns? Also, it seems you know to search the community for advice. Good idea!
- yes, lots have made the route. Lots on small fishing boats. Lots on small (30-35') power cruising boats (usually traveling in a group), many doublehanded sailboats ( bigger than yours), some 27' singlehanded sailboats. Oh ya, there was a guy alone in a kayak. Another story.

So.... You're on your way.
Believe me, I could babble on for this topic.
If you want more info on the route, talk to me.
If your concerned about your vessels equipment, talk to Dog ( ok, others too,) I know the guy is gruff, he knows his snit (and it's free!)

Safe sailing!
Current, wx, taffic, routing, lack of support, and self sufficiency. All key snit.

Max
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook