SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who''s living on what??
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010
SeaLife Sailing

SeaLifeSailing is on a distinguished road
I own a Lancer 36 and lived aboard for 2+ years, very comfortably including winter conditions. Currently I use the boat as a teaching vessel, and living aboard doesn't make as much sense now as it did then, but I miss it, and can't wait to live aboard again. I miss being gently rocked to sleep, hearing storms howl through the rigging, and the economy of space that comes with living on a sailboat. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and overcame humidity challenges by plugging in a large household dehumidifier fed into the bilge, with a fan circulating air throughout the boat. Toasty warm even below freezing; nice and dry. The price was certainly right - about the same as paying rent in my city in a small apartment vs. making boat payments, moorage, and insurance plus basic maintenance, although boat maintenance can certainly add up if you want to keep your boat in tip-top sailing condition. On the other hand, I could untie my boat and dissappear into beautiful cruising grounds for a weekend or a week, which is difficult to do with an apartment... :-) The only downside to trying to live aboard in my area is actually finding liveaboard moorage that is readily accessible to sailing, as moorage in general is difficult to find - good liveaboard moorage is seriously rare. The biggest liveaboard challenge in these parts...
Lancer 36
s/v 'Ma Provence'
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook