SailNet Community - View Single Post - New 1974 Pearson 30 owner
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010

aferlazzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dileo View Post
Congrats and welcome. The Pearson 30 is a fantastic boat. There's very good reason why Pearson 30 owners are so passionate about thier boats and why you can find so much information about them. Should you have ANY questions (because, yes, I have done every concieveable thing you can get done to a Pearson 30), let me know!
My new (to me) Pearson 30 has a wheel which I plan to remove. in favor of the tiller, which is also aboard. I was discussing this with a fellow who is a very competent sailor, and he told me that he thought the Pearson 30 is very difficult to steer with a tiller in tough conditions. He was not much more specific than that, and I know he races a tiller-steered Ensign a lot, so it's not like he is a tiller-hater.

So Pearson 30 owners or those who sail the boat a lot... is there any truth to what this guy is telling me? Is the boat tough to steer with a tiller in any conditions?

I am very familiar with the pros and cons of wheels vs. tillers and in the Pearson 30 a tiller makes a lot more sense to me, for the way I intend to use the boat, hence my plan to go back to the tiller.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook