SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamarine View Post
I just started compounding a 38' that is oxidized. Never done this before, grabbed a 9227cy, some 3M Super Duty Compound, and Finesse It II. I am using a SM Arnold "Tuffer Buffer" Compounding & Polishing Pad #57-375 (It's all the local supplier had).

So far all I've done is the transom, and while it looks great right up close and at off angles, when you stand back about 10 ft it's all uneven and hazy. What am I doing wrong?
If it was all uneven and hazy you were not done compounding. Until the hazyness or coudyness is gone you can't begin to use Finesse It. The shine should look nearly perfect and very shiny before Finesse It.

You also should not use Finesse It with a compounding grade pad or it won't add any benefit what so ever and may leave it worse off. Contrary to popular belief there is no such thing as a compounding & polishing pad as they are two different grades of pad one much more aggressive than the other. You'd be better to use a polishing grade pad with a compound than a compound pad with a polish.

If you were to use an SM Arnold pad for polishing it would be the #53-375 not the #57-375. The 57-375 is a compounding grade pad not a polishing grade pad..

The AM Arnold Polishing Pad

53-375 SPIN BRITE® 4-Ply Polishing Pad w/ Loop Backing 7.50” Diameter, 1.50” Wool & Synthetic Fibers, Curved Edge.

The Compounding Pad

57-375 TUFFER BUFFER™ Compounding & Buffing Pad w/ Loop Backing 7.50” Diameter, 1.50” 4-Ply Wool, Curved Edge

P.S. I have NO idea how good these pads are so can't guarantee the results. 3M, Lake Country & Presta all make great pads but there are many companies out there producing pure crap..

If you can get a 53-375 try it with the compound then follow up with the Finesse It using the same pad. Often times some compounding pads will not allow a deep shine because they are just to aggressive..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook