SailNet Community - View Single Post - Security camera help
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010

redline is on a distinguished road
I have been doing this all winter, to check the snow load on my cover. I use a pair of Airlink101 "AICN777W" cameras mainly because they were not that expensive for Pan/Tilt and are standalone (no PC required). They have both wired and wireless. They worked fine all winter, even during the cold. They also have an auxilliary output, and (I think) an input, which could be connected to an extra bilge float switch. The 747 model is a bit cheaper, the 777 claims Mpeg4 for cell phones but I find them somewhat IE-centric and use a direct link to a still image on my phone and other browsers.

There are easier ways to monitor water levels than video, I think, but it's nice to pan around and see that all is well.

I also connected a serial-ethernet "Terminal server" to the NMEA output of my instruments, and leave the Wind speed/direction on, so I can check on conditions remotely. Not sure when it crosssed the line from "useful" to "geeky" but I like it.
Hope this info is useful.

Last edited by redline; 05-01-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: (added camera model number)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook