SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fresh new Victim :-)
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010

nerys is on a distinguished road
yeah the interior is non existent but to me thats very minor. Function over Beauty gets me on the water :-)

The keel is also "stuck" its an external swing keel. Metal on Metal. Seized up good. many cans of PB have had no effect. I am afraid to apply to much force for fear of damaging the hull its attached to.

The person I am getting the motor from (don't want to mention name without permission) suggested maybe I could REMOVE the whole thing from the boat. Duh! Head Smack never though of that :-) next time I am down their I am going to see if its bolts holding it on the hull and if i can remove them.

if I can separate it from the boat I can get aggressive with it :-)

while it will work fine as it is my fear is if the keel COMES DOWN while I am out I won't be able to get it back OUT of the water again if the keel won't come back up :-) hehe

My first task is to greatly reinforce the supports on the trailer. While its clearly plenty strong. It survived the highway drive home over 60 miles and its survived winter it just SEEMS lacking to me. So I am going to greatly strengthen it.

Then I will feel safe climbing into the boat while on land and "having at it"

Is it safe and suggested that I practice "stepping" (correct term?) the mast and sails on land first so I know somewhat how to do it before getting on the water? will I harm the hull walking around on it while on the trailer?

There seems to be some "pressure" spots where the trailer pushes harder than other spots. Do I need to redesign the trailer a little to spread this load better or am I thinking too much into this? I have no idea how strong these things are or the forces involved.

I had a ton of nice pictures for the life of me I can not find them. when i find them or take some more I will post them!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook