SailNet Community - View Single Post - Engineless?
Thread: Engineless?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed031 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. As a new A4 owner the first thing I did was join the Atomic 4 forum and introduce myself to Moyer Marine. I'm in the process of fixing some of the PO's short cuts and getting a little antsy. Being in Southwest Florida I guess it would be best to have some type of power. I do however have a couple nice anchors.
What sort of PO "shortcuts" are you working on now -- electrical or mechanical? When I got my boat with her A4, I had never owned a boat before but I do know engines a bit. The first thing he told me about starting the engine was "Turn on these two switches first." When I asked what they did he told me he didn't know, but that the PO he bought it from had told him to do it, so he did. Turned out that they were two separate fuel pumps -- one right off the tank and the other was the engine's original fuel pump with the oil pressure sensor switch bypassed. First thing I did there was take the extra pump out of line, then hook up the oil sensor switch the way it should have been. Everything worked perfectly.

I spent the rest of that summer fixing all the previous PO's "shortcuts" -- mostly electrical -- and getting rid of the rat's nest of deadhead wires and appalling splices. It might not look Bristol-fashion either now, but at least all the wires are the right gauge and don't have bare-ended splices hanging off them.

What's keeping your engine from running now? Are you a member over at Moyer's yet? I looked for your username but didn't find it. Keep us A4 fans posted as to your progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook