SailNet Community - View Single Post - Engineless?
Thread: Engineless?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I'm guessing you're tied up in a slip. If anybody knows a way to get out of a leeward slip under sail, let me know.

Actually, here's a thought. If you've got a dinghy with a powerful outboard, tow your boat into open water. It shouldn't be terribly difficult; tie the tow line to the bow in advance, walk the boat out of the slip, and then start towing. Or if you're berthed bow-out, you can get going right away. Make sure you have somebody at the helm.

Once you're out of the marina, you might want to stay out. Marinas scare me, and I have a working motor. Anchor somewhere for the night and sail every day; pretty soon you will be confident enough to sail back into the marina when conditions are right. Ideally you have a job that is flexible in this way, or no job at all.

Actually, why go back into the marina at all... there must be a mooring field around. Move your boat there and then you never need a motor.

p.s. Does your marina have a rule against briefly running a line from your boat to a cleat on the corresponding slip one dock over, and back again? If not I have another idea for how you can get out of your slip without a motor.

Last edited by AdamLein; 05-02-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook