SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mustang MD8134 PFD advice?
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 05-03-2010
DrB

Mustangs

I have an the same w/o a harness.

FWIW, the hydrostatic and "pill" ones are basically equivalent for almost 95% of the folks that sail. Really the only significant advantage to a hydrostatic versus a pill is heavy wet weather sailing. Constant pounding of rain/seas etc. may set a pill one off prematurely, whereas the hydrostatic one should remain non-activated until you are actually submerged. Also, if you tend to store your PFD in a "wet" locker, a pill one my go off if it is subjected to water.

I am also of the belief that you want a separate harness and PFD. Why?, because you may want to have a harness on without a PFD, either because it may be too hot to wear a PFD or you just want to be clipped onto the boat without a PFD. Also, the ring on the PFD for the Harness is too low IMO and can cause serious damage to your body. A true harness, even a chest one only, puts the ring much higher on your torso, where your body is stronger.

Unless you plan on doing a lot of solo sailing or sailing in heavy, wet weather, a hydrostatic with a harness ring may be overkill and one with the traditional pill and without a D-ring would be fine. Not saying don't get it the hydro/D-ring model, just my two cents on what I think is a more appropriate option for you.

As far as fit. I'm 6'6" and 240 and it fits me with plenty of room to spare.

DrB

If you liked my advice/response, give me some rep points. If you didn't......well what do you expect, it was free.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome