SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing from San Francisco to Seattle
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Just wanted to say that the weather systems have been coming in late this year; and you need to judge going up the coast in April/May by what the trends have been. If the winter storms have been trending south and it has been a wet/rainy winter, chances are that the offshore conditions will not be good in April and into May. Last weekend wind waves were for 8' swell with 8' wind waves outside of SF (I don't know what the forecast was further north). If it is a mild spring; April-May could be OK; but you are still not out of the winter storm window and you would want a good 4-day forecast with no approaching systems on the 96-hour forecast.

If it were me I would wait until June or later. I'd rather deal with fog and coastal winds than storms and heavy seas/swell. The offshore winds generally get lighter the further offshore in the summer; unless the rare clear-air gale forms (inland strong low, Pacific high that is further west)

If you are considering paying a delivery captain; you might also look into the cost of truck transport.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook