SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sea water strainer for engine intake - flat
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread... I am getting considerable push back from the guys doing the bottom on leaving the strainer off. So I am posting here for moral support
Having dealt with many a plugged external strainer I no longer use them. No fun diving with a coat hanger. We get LOTS of floating crap in the water during spring tides that reach up on our 3000+ miles of coast line and pull all the crap on the beach back into the bays. I instead bump my intakes to 1" and use sweep ells as opposed to 90's before the 1" Perko 0493 series strainer. This allows the vast percentage of the stuff to make it to the strainer.

Once eel grass or similar gets into a slotted or round strainer it becomes nearly impossible to remove unless you have the ability to open it. The round opening style was designed specifically for sailboats and the holes are far better than the slotted type are keeping stuff out. If you put one on definitely go for the Groco round opening type. They are cheaper at Hamilton.

PS If you use a "scoop" strainer be sure to face it aft so it is not in "scoop" mode. The forward orientation is for power boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook