SailNet Community - View Single Post - What kind of boom is this?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006
merc2dogs merc2dogs is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 515
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Sounds like the same type of boom as is on my 67 triton, People claim they work 'alright' problems are that the sail looses a lot of shape when furled, and you need a 'claw' many people I've spoken with have mentioned tossing a seat cushion or jacket in the roll to help keep the sail in shape,
Mine has a crank on the underside that operates the outhaul through a cable, and a worm gear assembly at the gooseneck to furl the sail, never used the system as the boom was set up for regular reefing when I bought it.
I have the claw, with a length of line abou 10ft, nicely whipped at the bitter end, but see no real reason to use it, or anyplace to connect it when the sail is furled. should say It slips over the sail and boom when it's furled, but I see nowhere that it can be connected afterwards.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook