SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lake Michigan Boat Question
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010

michigancruisers is on a distinguished road
So then people generally consider it "off shore". I would have thought so and we would have, of course, been careful about weather as I think you really are off shore. We also don’t just expect to “dash” across the lake but rather, sometimes, bee line it from TC down to Chicago. 100’s of miles down the center of the lake. I still wonder if the Catalina would be up to it. There is a difference between what is possible and what is reasonable. I don’t like the idea of having to duck into port unless it’s really necessary and I am wondering at what point will the boat brand start to influence the decision and is that point reach too quickly with the Catalina.

Additionally, all of the really significant ocean storms that I have been in have, frankly, not been as disconcerting as what I have seen in the Great Lakes. Last month sailing off San Diego the wind was blowing like hell and the waves were large, just about had the rail in the water and it was a blast because the waves generally didn’t break. A three foot chop in the lakes always seems to be white capped. I’ve seen waves wash over the flight deck of the USS America (I was on a tin can off to its port side) and the waves didn’t break. It was a great ride for us in the can but I would have worried if the top 20 or so feet of those waves were breaking.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook