SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is it advisable to use Road Maps to navigate?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
I realize that a bit of levity is in order, but IMHO the tone of the thread is one of sympathy for the clown in the boat. If I got it wrong, my apologies, but if I'm picking up on that what will a complete newbie think?

One of the earlier posters from my neck of the woods said that up here, paper charts are required. The only acceptable alternative is adequate local knowledge. That said, most boaters up here agree that paper charts are the best way to keep the CG happy.

As for electronics, I won't even go there. From what I can see here, that topic has been well debated.

A few years ago, our sailing club was leaving Gibsons for Silva Bay when we all heard one of our skippers contact the CG. Upon arrival in Silva Bay, we asked him what had happened. It turns out they had encountered a sail boat with 2 women, entering Shoal Channel. The ladies thought that they were entering Silva Bay! Bob was asking the CG to intercept them before they hurt themselves or somebody else! I never did hear how it turned out.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sailjunkie; 05-07-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook