SailNet Community - View Single Post - Security camera help
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010

rljend is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
Rick,

Depending how far your porch is from the boat; be aware these are not stunningly high-resolution cameras. The "3X zoom" feature give a pretty blocky view. The quality is ok for the length of the boat, but I did use two, one on the foredeck and another at the cabin entry.

I just picked up a "dummy" security camera with dome (the camera is dummy, the dome is real) to see where I might mount it outside more permanently; possibly hanging it under the (future) radar scanner.
The "zoom" feature is apparently a digital enhancement created by IE and ActiveX. When I inquired as to why I wasn't receiving a picture, I was informed that IE v8 does not work with these cameras. They work with FireFox just fine, but without the ActiveX (and its security issues). The zoom and motion detection are also ActiveX features so are not available through FireFox.

Let us know how the dome works out and where you found it. The link Brad included looked helpful, but they seemed too small for the 777w from my quick look.

What kind of range were you getting to your router? I had reception problems until I installed a higher gain antenna on the camera, so now I have a very good response from the 60' from dock to router.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook