SailNet Community - View Single Post - forestay turnbuckle conversion - furler
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010

BigZ is on a distinguished road
I just installed the same unit on my boat. The instructions were, in some cases, not super clear. Spent a lot of time re-reading, re-thinking, and re-measuring.
If I recall correctly, one purpose of those gizmos labeled with the 2 are to secure the upper portion of the link plates to the non-rotating part of the furler body. On my setup, which is similar if not the same as yours, I just trimmed the overall length of each gizmo so they wouldn't butt against the turnbuckle. There was no pin used in that area. Then, a second toggle was added at the lower turnbuckle end. The second toggle joint is where a long pin was used to connect the lower end of the link plates with the forestay. The turnbuckle has to be adjusted (shortened) to compensate for the added length of the new toggle.
If you're not using link plates, I think that picture shown will still work, except that the turnbuckle would be inserted above the lower toggle. Then the pin would fit between the gizmos.
Hope that makes sense. All the paperwork needed to jog my memory is on the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook