SailNet Community - View Single Post - removing cap rail and sealing deck-hull joint
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010
seeker of wonder

SoulVoyage is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tflak View Post
Thanks for the info SoulVoyage.

Regarding the bungs, my post was a little unclear. Of course I realize that I can't save the original bungs. I was just wondering how to remove them without damaging the hole, so that when I put the new ones back in the holes still are "clean". In fact, I think I found a good solution... I used a Dremel tool with an 1/16" endmill, and carefully route out the bung. When I get close to the edge, it usually pops out. Doesn't take much time.
yep...that's one way to do it.

Another way, and it maybe quicker, is to punch a small starting hole in the bung, and then thread a wood screw a good way into the bung. Grab a hold of the wood screw with pliers going side to side, and the bung SHOULD start to break lose in one piece. You can then simply lift the bung out with the screw. I have done it this way, too, with good effect.

This may save time and the possiblity of slipping with the router. Just san idea. But sometimes bungs expand and get jammed in, so the router is good, too. Good luck.

Last edited by SoulVoyage; 05-09-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook