SailNet Community - View Single Post - === Pearson 30 Coaster = Vs. = Vanguard / Alberg
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010

dell30rb is on a distinguished road
Question

I own a coaster. Hull 9. Its a very solid boat. Lots of original equipment still on it. I have the last 30 years worth of receipts and the original sail and deck plan. Its also been surveyed thoroughly in the two years I've owned it. With the exception of the rudder, which I have had the yard repair, I've never had to do any serious work on it. The deck is original and very stout. The chainplates and rigging are in great shape and my atomic 4 is still running like a top.

I have yet to do any serious offshore work with the boat, but I have extensively sailed it around the chesapeake. I like the boat's design. Its a very classic and solid feeling sailboat. Very easy to handle the sails and strong and fast when the wind picks up. With a good paint and varnish job she will really turn heads.

Compared to my pop's 2003 beneteau 423 the pearson is a much better sailor. Also the beneteau has a tendency to pound and shudder. The pearson rarely pounds and when it does it never has the shudder. And as the previous poster suggested it will easily heave to.

The heaviest weather I've had the boat in was 35kts sustained out in the chesapeake. I had experienced crew with me; reefed and made appropriate sail choices; and the boat handled admirably. The 6 or 7 foot sea in the bay was especially nasty but the hull tracked very well and it was easy to hold a course. Take my opinion with a grain of salt because I'm no expert; but its my understanding that a well maintained coaster with a few offshore improvements like a companionway and larger cockpit drains would be a relatively safe ride as long as the skipper handles her well and makes good choices. I would never consider something Luke an Atlantic crossing , but a shorter offshore trip with good planning; good weather forecast and a prepared and competent crew should be no problem for the coaster

Fyi my boats previous owners have sailed it all over the place.. mostly down to the virgin islands and vicinity..

Last edited by dell30rb; 05-09-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook