SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is it advisable to use Road Maps to navigate?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
WHERE TO GET CHARTS:

Now that I told you how that I once used a road map in a special situation that was well considered before we started, let me help those who don't know about it by telling you where you can download charts for free in convenient 8 x 11 size (charts are divided into segments). In addition to my normal navigation charts, I have down loaded these charts (slightly reduced in size and 8 x 11 segments) for all the waters where I will ever go. If you are planning a trip, you can get these at that time and they will be up to date. I placed the 8x11 segments individually into plastic holders and have a notebook for these so I can reference them visually from the cockpit. Having a nice big chart down on the navigation desk is not too helpful if you are single handing ....these smaller charts are handy to help the helmsman keep a visual reference of what is happening (for those who don't have the electronic plotters, or whose plotter just failed).

The addresses are:

NOAA BookletCharts

NOAA BookletCharts

Now, with this having been done, for those anticipating using road maps, you won't even have to think about whether to attemp using a road map for boating. Get these charts instead, but bring the road map anyway. It might be useful when you reach your desitination.

Sorry that the chart source is only for US waters.

Last edited by NCC320; 05-10-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook