SailNet Community - View Single Post - Choosing a buyer's broker
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010

sprattstrp is on a distinguished road
Choosing a buyer's broker

We have finally decided to actively pursue our dream of sailing the Caribbean and SA for a few years.

Obviously, questions abound. For many of them we have been able to find a lot of great info on in this great forum and others. One of the questions we're having trouble finding good suggestions and recommendations on is how to select a good "buyer's broker" and what type /quality of service to expect from that relationship?

Should we expect a broker to show us a variety of boats like a real estate agent to get us started? (we do have some pretty specific ideas of what we're looking for.)

If we find a buyer's rep that we like in one region, can/should we expect them to assist us if we find a boat we're interested in in another region? (eg a broker shows us some boats in Florida and we later want to see one in the Chesepeake.)

We're vacationing in So Florida next month. Are we wasting a listing broker's time buy asking him to show us one or two specific boats in his listings although we know 1) we won't buy until late 2010 and 2) if we wind up seriously interested in the boat he shows us then we'll certainly be consulting with a different broker prior to writing an offer?

Would anyone care to recommend a broker who "did me right" on the buyer's side of the deal?

I'm sure there are layers and layers to this onion. Anyone care to share their experiences to point me in the right direction?

Last edited by sprattstrp; 05-10-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook