SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for guidance on model of sailboat to buy
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-10-2010 Thread Starter
99miles

Looking for guidance on model of sailboat to buy

Hello,
This is my first post here, I apologize if this isn't the most appropriate category to post this under.

I'm looking to get a small day sailer and I'm overwhelmed by all the models out there. I sailed a bit when I was in my early teens on Blue Jays and Lasers and Sunfish. Then a few years ago I took a fairly intensive course in the SF Bay Area that licensed me to sail up to 48 ft boats.

I'm looking for something I could likely sail myself eventually, but that would have room for a couple other people or more. I'm thinking somewhere around 20-25 ft, but I'm open. I live in Portland, Oregon, so I'd likely sail in the Columbia as well as other nearby lakes if I end up with a boat I can easily trailer.

Ideally I'd only spend a couple thousand dollars, but again, this is a little flexible. I want to get something that I'll really enjoy.

Does that seem doable? Any suggestions on makes or models to look for, or top steer away from? What else should I look for when I'm checking out boats?

Thanks for any advice to this newbie sailboat buyer!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome