SailNet Community - View Single Post - Amrchair Dreamer
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-11-2010 Thread Starter
Amrchair Dreamer

I'm in Portland, Oregon, and in 2008 a friend took me out on his Cal 20. I got the sailing bug, and the need for cursing and adventure is strong.

Obtained my ASA101 in July 2009. Started racing in our local fleet on a Yankee 30.

The armchair part is not having a boat of my own. My first goal is to sail singlehanded to Hawaii. Much more experience and training is required though, and I was hoping for my first offshore race in the Oregon Offshore, but that fell through.

So I research for my Hawaii trip. I've gone through a lot of stages, first driven by the major manufacturers (I'll take a Catalina around the world!), to more sober thoughts (Baba 30), to expensive-to-maintain classics (ooo look at the Alden Q!), to the inexpensive (Flicka or even a Cal 20 according to "Twenty Small Boats ...").

I think the "go now, go small" mantra is taking over, and would even be interested in learning to safely navigate oceans on something like a Montgomery 17 (a J/80 too crazy?). And if the funds were available, the mini-transat's look interesting (6.5m like the Pogo 2).

But aside from boat-searching, since I'm a couple years away from owning, I'm just here for more research and experience. I'll probably take the ASA103/4 from the J-folks in the Bay Area, since I'm not going to get anything quite as interesting from the Columbia around Portland for offshore.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome