SailNet Community - View Single Post - Amrchair Dreamer
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010

nentis is on a distinguished road
Amrchair Dreamer

Greetings,

I'm in Portland, Oregon, and in 2008 a friend took me out on his Cal 20. I got the sailing bug, and the need for cursing and adventure is strong.

Obtained my ASA101 in July 2009. Started racing in our local fleet on a Yankee 30.

The armchair part is not having a boat of my own. My first goal is to sail singlehanded to Hawaii. Much more experience and training is required though, and I was hoping for my first offshore race in the Oregon Offshore, but that fell through.

So I research for my Hawaii trip. I've gone through a lot of stages, first driven by the major manufacturers (I'll take a Catalina around the world!), to more sober thoughts (Baba 30), to expensive-to-maintain classics (ooo look at the Alden Q!), to the inexpensive (Flicka or even a Cal 20 according to "Twenty Small Boats ...").

I think the "go now, go small" mantra is taking over, and would even be interested in learning to safely navigate oceans on something like a Montgomery 17 (a J/80 too crazy?). And if the funds were available, the mini-transat's look interesting (6.5m like the Pogo 2).

But aside from boat-searching, since I'm a couple years away from owning, I'm just here for more research and experience. I'll probably take the ASA103/4 from the J-folks in the Bay Area, since I'm not going to get anything quite as interesting from the Columbia around Portland for offshore.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook