SailNet Community - View Single Post - M.O.B. Drill, followed by the real thing..
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
"One said we saved his life, though with lifejackets on all, and 74-degree lake, I think that's an exaggeration."

I dunno - 74 degrees might feel good for swimming, but spend some time in it floating about, waiting for someone to come by and pick you up, and you can start getting chilled pretty quickly. If you hadn't come by, how far were they from land? How long would it have taken him to swim back to either his PWC or shore - if he even could have, given the wind and waves?

I mean, mebbe he was slightly overstating the seriousness of the circumstances, but he probably was pretty scared at that point, floating around out there by himself like a cork and getting pushed who knows where. I would think that falling off a PWC like that in any sizeable body of water would quite suddenly make you feel very small and vulnerable. I know I would be extremely grateful to you if I were in his position, and would similarly express my gratitude. Good job!!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook