SailNet Community - View Single Post - is there a website that estimates trip durations?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
is there a website that estimates trip durations?

My Google-fu has failed me. I'm looking for something like Google Maps, but for sailing. I don't want it to plot me an exact course, I realize that is difficult and will depend on the boat, weather, etc. I'm just trying to get a ballpark estimate of how long it would take to sail from one location to another. I'm new to sailing and I have no idea what places are in reach of me for a daysail or a long weekend or a vacation.

For example, I have not bought a boat yet but one of the ones I'm looking at is on lake champlain. I'd like a website that would estimate how long it would take to sail it to Boston, so I can decide if it would make more sense to sail it home or truck it home if I were to buy it.

Surely there must be a website somewhere that does this that I just can't find. Even if it's just as simple as showing me a map and letting me draw a rough course between two points, that would be immensely useful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook